This week has been a tough one for me because of my battle with a cold. It doesn’t feel as terrible as the one I had last year but still, a cold is a cold.
Every flu season there are a couple of different strains of the virus floating around. This year however, they say the Influenza A-H3N2 strain is the most popular one. Because of this, the season is much worse compared to say a season where other strains are circulating around in more moderate numbers across the board.
This is not the first time we’ve experienced this strain, with the most recent outbreak being 2014-2015. The reason why everyone has been freaking out this time around is because unlike say the last one, this is one is widespread and also happening at the exact same time. Normally health practitioners don’t see flu activity until January but this year it started in November. This meant that it also lined up with the holiday season where large gatherings and shopping crowds are happening – the perfect storm for the bug to spread.
Once upon a time I would escape flu season every single year- until last year. I happen to be one of the October/ November casualties with mine lasting for over three weeks and it was actually a flu not a cold. Just horrible! This time around I think it’s just a cold which hopefully will disappear in the next day or three. All this has got me finally thinking about getting a flu shot the next time they’re jabbing folks.
Here are 3 ways to avoid the flu from spreading:
- Wash you hands with soap, like a surgeon. Especially when you’re coming in and out of you any spaces.
- Avoid touching nose, eyes and mouth as they are openings we often find our dirty hands wondering to.
- Wipe most used surfaces and gadgets often with a disinfectant because they harbour germs all the time.
And a few community sourced remedies to alleviate the symptoms of your cold/ flu this season.
- Oil of Oregano
- Sudafed, emergen C, and tea with 🍋 ginger and 🍯
- Herbal teas
- Acupuncture, sleep , hydration
- Inhale eucalyptus leaves in hot water
- Lemon juice
What are some of your cold/ flu prevention and treatment remedies?